Murphy Center Programs & Services Outcomes & Statistics
The Murphy Center has over 3,300 guest visits per month, 40,000 guest visits per year and works with over 3,000 unduplicated men and women each year.
The ultimate goal at the Murphy Center for every guest we serve experiencing homelessness is to help them escape from that nightmare. On April 15th, 2016 we started tracking guests who (1) Were homeless (2) Were or are guests of the Murphy Center and (3) Escaped homelessness in 2016 with the help of the programs and services provided at the Murphy Center. In 2016 and 2017 the MC helped 127 individuals to prepare for, locate and secure affordable housing.
Here is an excerpt from one of these guests:
“Homeless Gear at the Murphy Center was a godsend. We were able to find and maintain stable employment with the help of Homeless Gear and they helped provide basic work needs such as work boots and tools. One year ago my husband and I couldn’t even afford food, let alone a roof over our head. When I became pregnant we went to the Murphy center for help. Since then we have both maintained full time employment and with the help of Homeless Gear we were able to move into an apartment. The Murphy Center has helped tremendously in providing for our son. The transition from homelessness to stability is incredibly difficult and seems impossible. The Murphy Center gave my family hope. Homeless Gear in particular made stability a reality for us. Thank you for continuing to help people out of homelessness.” – Corrina and Matt W.
Murphy Center Core Services:
The Murphy Center provides or facilitates 10 core services in addition to the wide array of programs and services offered by our 4 partner council agencies and 16 participating agencies. Estimates of these services include:
- Mail: 850 guests depend on the MC to receive their benefit checks, employment and housing related paperwork and other important day to day correspondence.
- Lockers: 200 lockers store guest’s most valuable possessions.
- Showers: 8,000 guest showers annually.
- Laundry: Over 1,750 loads of guest laundry annually.
- Computers & Wi-Fi: 5 computers help guests with job and apartment searches, email, and other daily necessities.
- Food Pantry: 3 food programs including morning day service breakfast meals, “take away” meals, and family food boxes.
- Telephones/Long Distance Calling: Helps our guests to stay connected to employers, family, housing prospects, and agencies/benefits outside of the Murphy Center
- Career Closet: Helps our job seekers and those with employment to get equipped with clothing, tools and footwear essential to their job or interview.
- Gear Room: Over 450 guest transactions a month for essentials to help our guests deal with the elements, personal hygiene, transportation of personal belongings and more.
- Morning Day Service: Nearly 25,000 guest annually are provided a breakfast snack meal, warm and safe environment, coffee, and lots of space to talk, organize for the day, read, listen to music or access one of the Murphy Center’s many services
Agency Programs & Services: 2017
Bike Repair (Mark Brewer) 615 bike Repairs
Benefits Enrollment (Homeless Gear-Dedicated Navigators): 450 benefit applications resulting in $727,000 approved benefits.
Career Clothing and Equipment (Homeless Gear-Hand Up Program-Career Closet): 200 job seeker visits to the career closet.
Day Services/Continental Breakfast: 25,000 guests served
Employment Assistance (Homeless Gear’s Hand Up Program): 200 jobs secured
Gear & Supplies (Homeless Gear): 457 gear room guest transactions with a total value of $20,000 worth of coats, footwear, outdoor gear, and other.
Housing First Initiative: 84 guests assisted in preparing for, locating and securing affordable housing.
Housing Search Assistance (Neighbor to Neighbor): Served a total of 955 households, impacting 2,318 individuals.
Rent Assistance (Neighbor to Neighbor & Homelessness Prevention Initiative): Distributed $101,269 in emergency rent assistance, first month’s rent assistance and security deposit assistance.
Transportation Assistance (Bus Passes):